23 Aug How Intervention Addiction Services Can Help You
Calgary intervention addiction services have helped many individuals and families enter into treatment programs and commit to a life of sobriety. Interventionists know that drug addiction can be treated successfully, but it’s not a simple process.
Successful treatment has several steps including:
- Detoxification to arrest the physical craving for drugs
- Behavioral counseling to help identify attitudes and behaviors that lead to drug abuse
- Medication that helps the body reject opioids, tobacco, or alcohol
- Evaluation and treatment to help deal with mental health issues such as depression and anxiety
- Long-term follow-up to provide support and prevent relapse
An experienced interventionist acts as guide and educator throughout the intervention process and after the intervention. The interventionist will meet with the family to help them prepare for the intervention, they will guide everyone during the initial steps, and they will provide assistance through the transitioning process of guiding individuals into a rehab program.
Interventionists have their own unique approach and personality that can help them relate to each individual. There are also various intervention models that intervention addiction services use to guide the process. One of the most common models is the Johnson Method, which was created by Dr, Vernon Johnson in 1973.
Through his research, Dr. Johnson discovered four key factors that have formed the foundation of all modern intervention methods used today.
- An addict will not have a life-altering experience that leads them to quit.
- For the majority of addicts, the process that leads to the desire to quit involves a series of negative events.
- For an intervention to be successful, a plan is needed to help the addict throughout the process.
- A successful intervention illustrates the personal consequences of what will happen if the addict does not agree to treatment.
The Johnson method places focus on a caring confrontation that is guided by empathy and not blame, anger or judgment. This approach is more successful in encouraging the addict to enter into treatment willingly, and research conducted by the Association of Intervention Specialists has shown that over 90% of interventions lead patients to accept treatment.
In Calgary, there are many intervention addiction services that can help you find a professional interventionist. However, it’s a good idea to ask them about their process to make sure they follow a method that will work for your needs.
There are many families suffering from the effects of alcohol and substance abuse, but they should never give up hope for a better future.
Intervention services can and do help families and individuals kick the addiction habit and start living a healthy, happy drug free life.